The American Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, America's Episcopal/Anglican church in Paris, has served the American community since the 1830s when services were organized in the garden pavillion of the Hôtel de Matignon, the home of Colonel Herman Thorn, (now the official residence of the French Prime Minister). A parish was formally established in 1859 and the first church building consecrated in 1864 on Rue Bayard.
In the 1870s, Dr. John B. Morgan, a cousin of J. P. Morgan, became Rector of Holy Trinity Parish and began a successful fund raising campaign for a new and larger church. The present site was purchased on Avenue George V (then called Avenue d'Alma) from the estate of the Duc de Morny, half-brother of Emperor Napoléon III, and the church was built in less than four years; the plans submitted by the English architect George Edmund Street were approved by the vestry in October, 1882 and the first services held in September, 1886.
The church was consecrated on Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1886, coinciding with the dedication of the Statue of Liberty in New York, thus reinforcing both our French and American alliances. In 1922, Holy Trinity became a cathedral, technically a pro-cathedral, in that it continues as a parish church and also serves as the seat for the Bishop in charge of Episcopal churches in Europe.
Copywrite 2010 The American Cathedral of Paris